The Cybook Gen3 from Bookeen is an ultra-light reading device that uses the E ink® screen technology (VizPlex), giving a paper-like high contrast appearance that is readable even under direct sunlight. As with all E-Ink devices the battery gives a great number of page turns, though the Cybook is a little better than the Sony Reader Digital Book (PRS-505), reaching an impressive 8,000 page turns. The Cybook also reads many different file formats, including the MobiPocket format, and offers access to a wide range of digital documents. In the future the Cybook will also have a firmware upgrade to allow EPUB files to be read.
Great news is that unlike the Sony Reader, this is available to both North American and European consumers.
Here are the official specs:
- Size: 4.7″ x 7.4″ x 0.3″ / 118 x 188 x 8.5 mm
- Weight: 6.13 ounces / 174 g (battery included)
- Screen: 6″ E Ink® screen, 600×800 pixels, 166 dpi, B&W, 4 grayscale
- Sound: 2.5mm stereo headphone plug
- Controls: 11 buttons (No touchscreen)
- Battery: Rechargeable built-in Li-Polymer battery (1000 mAh) giving 8,000 page flips
- Processor: 200MHz
- ROM memory: 8 MB
- RAM memory: 16 MB
- Storage memory: 64 MB Data Flash
- Formats: HTML, Txt, PRC, PalmDoc, PDF, Secured MobipocketTM
- Connectivity: USB Client (v2.0), Mini USB B connector, SD Card slot
The Cybook eReading Device is now available in a Deluxe version, which comes with a USB Charger, cover, 2 GB SD memory card, Stereo earphones and an extra batter.